Wednesday, April 02, 2008

WFMW: FREE Movie Rentals


We watch/rent a lot of movies in the Our Love Story house. And, there is nothing better than viewing a FREE movie in my opinion!!!

Here are my 2 tips for getting FREE movie rentals:

1) My Coke Rewards Points turned in for FREE Blockbuster rentals
All you have to do is save and enter the codes from Coke products. The codes are found on the rip off part of 12-packs and on the tops of 20-ounce and PowerAde bottles. I stock up on 12-packs when they are on sale and I believe that a free rental coupon (which does include new releases) it is less than the points on four 12-packs. If you are going to buy the soda anyway, why not get free movie rentals for doing so! See the official site here. You can also get other things like magazine subscriptions for very low point values. If you/spouse work somewhere that buys soda, take their Coke codes too and the points will add up quickly!

2) Checking out movies from the library
Many of you might already do this, but I always seem to forget I can! I go through streaks of checking out movies and then months of just renting. There are a lot of video/DVD treasures at the local library. They carry all the current titles and lots of older movies. If you want a brand-new title, just request it with hold through the library's online catalog system and when it is your turn you'll be notified to come and pick it up. Our library lets you keep DVD's for 7 days. This comes in handy when you have a baby and need to sit down an average of 4 to 5 times to finish a movie!

I also was noticing yesterday at the library a myriad of documentaries and "non-fiction" DVD titles. I even saw a series that helps you prepare for childbirth and some that were titled something along the lines of a "magazine on your tv" or something like that. Anywho, even if you are not an avid reader, you might find some of the library's DVD resources helpful and informational and not just entertaining.

And lastly, a plug to check out other more "unusual" library items - try checking out some new music/CD's for yourself or your kids. This is a great way to expose yourself and kids to new artists and genres. The local public library has so many treasures! In college I would actually check out ARTWORK at the local public library. (I am totally serious about this!) I had a nail above my couch in my crummy 1 bedroom apartment where I would hang my library paintings. The had a catalog of cards that contained a picture and dimensions of their paintings. You would take the card to the library checkout desk and they would bring back for you the painting you chose! You could check out the painting for 90 days. It was a fun way to don my walls for free!

Have fun watching your free movies and don't forget to check out other great tips at Rocks in My Dryer!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

We looooooove the library. That is the only way we get movies. If we rent them, we end up paying late fees! No one likes that!