Friday, March 16, 2007

My First Chicken

I have no idea why I feel the need to post this so much later than it happened, but Sunday when it did happen, I thought it would make a great post!

Sunday Jason and I went to the grocery store after church to get some essentials - milk, eggs, etc. I was quite hungry and didn't know what I was going to make for lunch. I know a few people who buy rotisserie chickens from the grocery store and use the meat for various things. I have been leery of this, because if you know me well, you know I don't eat things with bones in them (yes - no buffalo wings, ribs, or fried chicken for me!) It reminds me that what I am eating was once alive... Just too close for comfort.

So, we decided to "go for it," especially since I saw some that were just breasts and not the whole chicken. We bought some good buns and decided on sandwiches for lunch.

The smell of the chicken was pretty potent for my pregnant nose. I realized I had to pull quite the layer of skin off of the chicken to get the meat, and that there was still plenty of bone. We had our sandwiches - they were okay. It still grossed me out a bit to know that what I was eating I just took off of a bone. I think that took away from my enjoyment.

The best part, was getting my hands into the cold chicken later in the day when I decided to take it out of the fridge and get all the meat off. The leftover carcass kind of scarred me a bit...

The meat still sits in my fridge. It will be made into some type of hotdish tomorrow where I can slather it in cream of mushroom and pretend it was a boneless, skinless, frozen breast.

I don't think another rotisserie chicken is in our near future. I admit, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great, either!

1 comment:

Carbon said...

I'm funny about meat too. I rarely ate it when I was younger and I still don't like to touch raw meat with my hands. I know, I'm odd. I too had an issues with taking the meat off an rotisserie chicken. I'm almost a pro now :)