Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Works-for-me Wednesday: Butter Wrappers


My tip for today is a frugal and healthy tip. I question the health of using non-stick sprays for cooking/baking. Plus, I personally think you can taste their nasty flavor, too - especially on things like rice crispy bars. So, why not use something that you normally toss to eliminate - the wrapper to your stick of butter.

My Mom taught me this trick. Just save your butter wrapper from whatever you are making and use the bits of butter that are stuck to it to butter your pan. I find that the small amount of butter left on the wrapper is actually plenty to grease a whole loaf pan and sometimes a cake pan, too. I don't go quite as far as my mom does with this - she leaves folded butter wrappers on her counter or in the fridge to "save for later." But, if I just opened a stick for baking, I do save that wrapper. This is also an excellent tool for pushing down rice crispy and s'more bars into pans.

Works for me - and my Mom! :-)

Don't forget to visit Rocks in My Dryer for more WFMW tips!!!

15 comments:

Lady Why said...

That is a great tip!

Jinxy and Me said...

This DOES work great - I do it all the time!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Great tip! I'll have to try that!

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

good idea!!

Anonymous said...

awww...my mom always did this too! she also saved the wrappers like your mom :) thanks for reminding me about this...i can't believe i forgot!

FrazzMom said...

I love this idea for pushing rice crispy treats down into the pan! Thanks!

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

My mom taught me to do that too.

Like you, I'm also questioning the health of using a product -- corn syrup. I have a new dessert blog. Come by and see. :-)

Anonymous said...

Great tip. I don't like those sprays either.

Anonymous said...

My mom did the same thing! :)

Jenn said...

Great tyip!

So glad the dipes are working for you! They do contain the poop better! Um, I had forgotten that I had commented a couple of weeks ago, but I'm glad you came to visit. It DOES look like we have ALOT in common. My girly girl was born on Sept 1st. So they are just a few days apart. And, my Princess's name is very similar to yours. Plus all the AP, crunchy stuff we have in common. Looks like you joined the babywearing blogroll too! Yay! Thanks again for visiting!

Awesome Mom said...

Great idea! I am glad that you found my comment helpful. I am planning on doing a post on cloth diapering and some helpful links that I have found so stay tuned.

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

I do this as well; learned it from my grandma. It is very easy to and you are right, it does taste so much better!

Melissa Markham said...

Great tip!

Britni said...

This is a great tip that I've never thought of. Thanks!

Jodie | Velour said...

Great tip!! I'm gonna try to remember this! :) I hate the smell of those sprays.